I am not a vegan, i am however a vegetarian who doesn't consume any cows milk due to my PCOS friendly diet. However i have found that some vegan recipes are actually nicer than their non-vegan alternatives, and this is my greatest recipe yet i think! Chocolate & beetroot goes amazingly well together & i'm pretty sure you can get away with considering one of these brownies as one of your 5 a day!
Anyway i hope you enjoy these!
Vegan Beetroot Brownies
80g dark coco powder (or 100g melted bitter chocolate)
80g Golden caster sugar
2 tbsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
75g chopped nuts of your choice (i use brazils/walnuts/hazelnuts/pecans)
80ml Hazelnut milk (or soya/almond milk will do, i just love the nutella flavour hazelnut milk gives)
80ml sunflower oil
1 very ripe banana, mashed.1 tbsp vanilla extract
45g grated fresh beetroot.
25g bitter chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas mark 4 & line a 28x18cm baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, coco powder, sugar, baking powder and nuts.
- In a separate bowl or jug mix together the hazelnut milk, oil, mashed banana and the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture.
- Now add the grated beetroot and stir until just combined. The mixture will be quite thick.
- Pour the mixture into the lined tray & top with chocolate chunks.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin, then cut into squares and dust with icing sugar.
- Eat them all!!