So last night my feelings were telling me to eat Vanilla sponge cake with mascarpone & strawberry filling. It tasted pretty damn good even if i do say so myself......but then naughty forbidden food always tastes good doesn't it?! However the remaining half of the cake has been sent into work with the Mr today to save me from my own lack of will power! 😜 🍰
I thought i would share this cake recipe with you all for full disclosure reasons......i won't only just post recipes when i'm being super healthy & virtuous. I'll also share those moments when i cave & do that terribly girly thing of eating my feelings. We all give in to temptation occasionally right & surely it's better to eat a home baked cake rather than a sub-standard & unsatisfying shop bought alternative?
Victoria Sponge with Mascarpone & Strawberry filling:
* 335g soft unsalted butter
* 335g golden caster sugar
* 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
* 4 large eggs
* 335g self-raising flour
* 2 teaspoons of baking powder
* 5 tablespoons of milk
2 x 9" sandwich tins, lined at the bottom & greased.
For the filling:
* 6 tablespoons of good quality strawberry jam
* 1 large tub of mascarpone cheese (300g)
* 1/2 a punnet of strawberries, washed & sliced.
For the topping:
* 1 tablespoon of icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180℃/Gas mark 4.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, vanilla extract & eggs (add the eggs one at a time.)
- Gradually add the flour & baking powder, mixing until fully incorporated into the mix.
- Add the milk and mix together quickly getting plenty of air in to the mixture.
- Pour the batter evenly into the 2 cake tins & bake for 30 minutes, until the cakes are golden in colour, coming away slightly from the edge of the cake tin & springy to touch. I always use a thin cake-tester too to ensure that the centre of the cake is fully cooked.
- Leave them to rest in the tin for 15 minutes then remove from tins & leave to cool on a cake rack.
- Once the cakes are cool, put one one a plate/cake stand and spread with Jam.
- Whisk up the mascarpone to make it light & fluffy then spread on top of the jam.
- Add the sliced strawberries evenly over the surface of the filling.
- Sit the other cake on top & sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Make a cup of tea & eat a big slice of cake!
The boys of the house both enjoyed the cake too, so I don't feel so bad in making such an indulgent & PCOS diet breaking treat! Although I have to admit that Henry made us look bad as he mainly ate t
I hope you all enjoy it too & would love to hear how your versions of the recipe turn out.